Dani Olmo has made a final decision on his Barcelona future as his agent explained the plan amid the current contract chaos at the club.
Article continues below
Article continues below
Article continues below
Barcelona yet to register Olmo for second half of seasonClub has struck €100m deal to raise fundsPlayer's agent reveals intention to stay at BarcaFollow GOAL on WhatsApp! 🟢📱WHAT HAPPENED?
Olmo’s move to Barcelona from RB Leipzig last summer came with significant fanfare after the Blaugrana secured his services for €62m (£51m/$64m). However, due to ongoing financial struggles, the club have to this point been unable to register him with La Liga for the second half of the season.
AdvertisementGetty ImagesTHE BIGGER PICTURE
Barcelona recently received a €100m (£83m/$104m) cash injection by selling VIP boxes at the newly renovated Camp Nou to Middle Eastern investors. This substantial boost is expected to allow the club to register Olmo and other players, bringing them back under La Liga's 1:1 financial rule for player signings.
DID YOU KNOW?
It has been reported that the likes of Manchester City and Manchester United were closely monitoring Olmo's situation. A clause in his contract stipulated that he could terminate his deal with Barcelona if he wasn't registered by January 1, sparking interest from top clubs across Europe. City had been tracking Olmo even before his move to Barcelona, considering him a perfect fit for Pep Guardiola’s system. In the summer of 2023, it is said City attempted to sign him but ultimately missed out. Meanwhile, United’s board viewed Olmo as a golden opportunity, with his potential availability as a free agent offering a chance to secure a high-calibre player without a transfer fee.
WHAT OLMO'S AGENT SAID
Despite growing interest, Olmo’s agent decisively ended the speculation. Speaking to , he stated, "The decision made by Dani is to stay at Barcelona as he wants to play for Barca. We are not considering any other option. Dani wants to play for Barcelona."