Steven Gerrard said it was "hard to defend anyone" after his Al-Ettifaq side lost again to heap more pressure on the under-fire manager.
Article continues below
Article continues below
Article continues below
Gerrard under pressure at Al-EttifaqSide lose after winter break returnSpared sack despite coaches getting dismissedFollow GOAL on WhatsApp! 🟢📱WHAT HAPPENED?
Al-Ettifaq started 2025 on a sour note as they lost 3-2 at home to Al-Kholood on Friday, leaving them 11th in the Saudi Pro League. Manager Gerrard described the team's performance as "poor" but questions are mounting over whether he is the right man to lead the team forward; with the saying the 44-year-old is 'on the brink' in his role.
AdvertisementGetty Images SportWHAT STEVEN GERRARD SAID
He told reporters: "The team's performance was poor and it's hard to defend anyone, especially when we concede three goals like that."
THE BIGGER PICTURE
Gerrard survived getting sacked by Al-Ettifaq back in November but his assistant coach Dean Holden and sporting director Mark Allen were not so fortunate. Ex-Rangers boss Michael Beale became his new assistant shortly after but the team's fortunes haven't improved a great deal since then. The Commandos are currently 11th in the league and sit just three points above the relegation zone. Ergo, the ex-Aston Villa manager may be on borrowed time at Al-Ettifaq.
gettyWHAT NEXT?
Gerrard, who is reportedly earning £15 million ($18.3m) a year on a contract that runs until 2027, will hope his team can return to winning ways on Wednesday when they travel to Damac in the league.